Mace Boulevard Complete Street Improvements, CIP 8257 [Federal Project No. 5238 (061)
- Date: November 02, 2017
- Location: 31. Old Davis High School (City Hall) ⋅ 23 Russell Blvd ⋅ 1927
23 Russell Boulevard
Davis, California 95616
00 11 16 – NOTICE INVITING BIDS
Mace Boulevard Complete Street Improvements, CIP 8257 [Federal Project No. 5238 (061)
1. NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the City Council of the City of Davis (“City”) invites and will receive sealed Bids up to but not later than 1:00 PM on November 2, 2017, at the City Clerk’s office of the City Manager, located at 23 Russell Boulevard, Davis, CA 95616, for the furnishing to City of all labor, equipment, materials, tools, services, transportation, permits, utilities, and all other items necessary for the Mace Boulevard Complete Street Improvements Project [Federal Project No. 5238 (061)] (the “Project”). At said time, Bids will be publicly opened and read aloud at the City Office. Bids received after said time shall be returned unopened. Bids shall be valid for a period of 90 calendar days after the Bid opening date.
2. Requesting Plans And Specifications:
Plans and specifications (not including State Specifications or other documents included by reference), and proposal forms, may be obtained by logging on to www.blueprintexpress.com/davis or by calling BPXpress Reprographics at (707)745-3593. The cost is $40 per set (plus shipping and handling) and is non-refundable. Any bidder that fails to purchase a complete set of plans, specifications and proposal forms from BPXpress Reprographics prior to the bid opening date and time OR is not included on the BPXpress plan holder list shall have their bid deemed non-responsive. In other words, the bidder must purchase the plan set from BPXpress Reprographics AND be on the BPXpress plan holder list to be deemed responsive. The only exception shall be in the event a bidder’s name is not included on the plan holders list but the bidder can produce proof of purchase of the plans, specifications and proposal forms from BPXpress Reprographics with a purchase date that occurred prior to the close of bidding. Any bid produced from plans, specifications and proposal forms obtained from sources other than those purchased from BPXpress by bidder shall be deemed non-responsive. Only bidders on the plan holders list shall receive addenda notifications
It is the responsibility of each prospective bidder to pay the fee and download and print all Bid Documents for review and to verify the completeness of Bid Documents before submitting a bid. Any Addenda will be posted on www.blueprintexpress.com/davis. It is the responsibility of each prospective bidder to check the BPXpress Reprographics website listed above on a daily basis through the close of bids for any applicable addenda or updates. The City does not assume any liability or responsibility based on any defective or incomplete copying, excerpting, scanning, faxing, downloading or printing of the Bid Documents. Information on BPXpress Reprographics may change without notice to prospective bidders. The Contract Documents shall supersede any information posted or transmitted by BPXpress Reprographics.
Bids must be submitted on the City’s Bid Forms. To the extent required by section 20103.7 of the Public Contract Code, upon request from a contractor plan room service, the City shall provide an electronic copy of the Contract Documents at no charge to the contractor plan room.
Contract documents will not be available for inspection or purchase from the City by potential Bidders.
3. Description Of The Work: The work shall include reconstruction of Mace Boulevard between Redbud Drive and Cowell Boulevard; a 1.6’ full depth reclamation pavement section for reconstruction of vehicular travel lanes, a 0.75’ full depth reclamation pavement section for reconstruction of bike lanes and shoulders, utility adjustments, curb and gutter, concrete flatwork, signage, striping and pavement markers to reduce travel lanes from 4 to 2 lanes, add buffered bike lanes, and add two-way cycle track; at intersection of Mace Blvd and Cowell Blvd, improve intersection for bicycles and pedestrians; and at Mace Blvd and San Marino, install HAWK traffic signal, in Davis, CA including all labor, materials, equipment, and incidentals, to completely install an operating facility in accordance with the Project Plans and Specifications.
All work shall be performed in accordance with the City of Davis' Standard Specifications January 1996 Edition, Addenda through October 2009, the latest edition of California Department of Transportation Standard Specifications and Plans dated 2015, Davis-Bacon Wage Determinations, General Prevailing Wage Rates, Labor Surcharge and Equipment Rental Rates, and the Contract Documents.
4. Engineer's Estimate: $2,400,000.00 Project Engineer: Michael C. Mitchell, P.E.
5. Contractor's License Classification and Subcontractors: Unless otherwise provided in the Instructions for Bidders, each Bidder shall be a licensed contractor pursuant to sections 7000 et seq. of the Business and Professions Code in the following classification(s) throughout the time it submits its Bid and for the duration of the contract: Class [A] General Engineering Contractor's License or a combination of Class C-8, C-12, and C 32 licenses.
Subcontractor Substitution requests shall be made within 35 calendar days after the award of the contract. Pursuant to Public Contract Code Section 3400(b), the City may make findings designating that certain additional materials, methods or services by specific brand or trade name other than those listed in the Standard Specifications be used for the Project. Such findings, if any, as well as the materials, methods or services and their specific brand or trade names that must be used for the Project may be found in the Special Conditions.
6. Bid Bond: Each Bid shall be accompanied by cash, a certified or cashier’s check, or Bid Bond secured from a surety company satisfactory to the City Council, the amount of which shall not be less than ten percent (10%) of the submitted Total Bid Price, made payable to City of Davis as bid security. The bid security shall be provided as a guarantee that within five (5) working days after the City provides the successful bidder the Notice of Award, the successful Bidder will enter into a contract and provide the necessary bonds and certificates of insurance. The bid security will be declared forfeited if the successful Bidder fails to comply within said time. No interest will be paid on funds deposited with City. The Bid Bond submitted shall be provided by a surety duly authorized by the Insurance Commissioner to transact surety business in the State of California.
7. Performance Bond and Labor and Material Bond: The successful Bidder will be required to furnish a Faithful Performance Bond and a Labor and Material Payment Bond each in an amount equal to one hundred percent (100%) of the Contract Price. Each bond shall be in the forms set forth herein, shall be secured from a surety company that meets all State of California bonding requirements, as defined in California Code of Civil Procedure Section 995.120, and that is a California admitted surety insurer.
Pursuant to Section 22300 of the Public Contract Code of the State of California, the successful Bidder may substitute certain securities for funds withheld by City to ensure its performance under the contract.
8. Prevailing Wages: Pursuant to Labor Code Section 1773, City has obtained the prevailing rate of per diem wages and the prevailing wage rate for holiday and overtime work applicable in Yolo County from the Director of the Department of Industrial Relations for each craft, classification, or type of worker needed to execute this contract. A copy of these prevailing wage rates may be obtained via the internet at: www.dir.ca.gov/dlsr/
In addition, a copy of the prevailing rate of per diem wages is available at the City’s Public Works and shall be made available to interested parties upon request. The successful bidder shall post a copy of the prevailing wage rates at each job site. It shall be mandatory upon the Bidder to whom the Contract is awarded, and upon any subcontractors, to comply with all Labor Code provisions, which include but are not limited to the payment of not less than the said specified prevailing wage rates to all workers employed by them in the execution of the Contract, employment of apprentices, hours of labor and debarment of contractors and subcontractors.
9. Department of Industrial Relations: Pursuant to Labor Code sections 1725.5 and 1771.1, all contractors and subcontractors that wish to bid on, be listed in a bid proposal, or enter into a contract to perform public work must be registered with the Department of Industrial Relations. No Bid will be accepted nor any contract entered into without proof of the contractor’s and subcontractors’ current registration with the Department of Industrial Relations to perform public work. If awarded a contract, the Bidder and its subcontractors, of any tier, shall maintain active registration with the Department of Industrial Relations for the duration of the Project.
This Project is subject to compliance monitoring and enforcement by the Department of Industrial Relations. In bidding on this Project, it shall be the Bidder’s sole responsibility to evaluate and include the cost of complying with all labor compliance requirements under this contract and applicable law in its Bid.
Additionally, this project is partially funded by the Federal Department of Transportation. Prevailing wages shall also follow Federal guidelines. The Contractor and its subcontractors must comply with both the State of California’s prevailing wages and the Federal Department of Transportation’s prevailing wages and pay the higher of the two amounts for any particular job title. See the Federal Requirements section of this Contract Book for more detail and Article 23 of the Instruction to Bidders.
10. Retention: Pursuant to Public Contract Code section 7201, the City has made a determination that the project described herein is substantially complex, and therefore a retention of 5% will be withheld from payment until after the work is complete.
11. DBE Contract Goal: 7.38%
The Federal Requirements section of this Contract Book covers the DBE requirements.
12. Buy America: This project is subject to the "Buy America" provisions of the Surface Transportation Assistance Act of 1982 as amended by the Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991.
13. Award: City shall award the contract for the Project to the lowest responsive, responsible Bidder as determined by the City from the Base Bid. City reserves the right to reject any or all bids or to waive any irregularities or informalities in any bids or in the bidding process.
14. Notice to Proceed: This project will be awarded for a spring start date. The Notice to Proceed shall be issued no sooner than April 2, 2018.
15. Further Information: For further information, contact Michael Mitchell, Principal Civil Engineer, at email@example.com. Questions will only be considered and answered via email. Questions will not be considered or answered 24 working hours prior to the bid opening.
Deliver Bids To: CITY OFFICES - CITY CLERK'S OFFICE
23 Russell Boulevard, Davis, CA 95616-3896
(Building is located on the corner of Russell Boulevard & B Street)
*Note* If you choose to mail your Bid Proposal via any of the overnight/express services, the outside envelope MUST be clearly marked as [SEALED BID FOR:
Mace Boulevard Complete Street Improvements, Program No. 8257 [Federal Project No. 5238 (061)]
DELIVER IMMEDIATELY TO CITY CLERK'S OFFICE]
Date And Time: November 2, 2017 1:00 p.m.
Date: October 10, 2017
End of notice inviting bids