Third Street Improvements: Surface Improvements Package, CIP No. 8164 [Federal Project No. STPL 5238 (064), CFDA No. 14.218]
- Department:Commissions and Committees, Public Works
- Category:Request For Proposal, Request For Qualification, Notice Inviting Bids
- Start Date:January 03, 2018
- Close Date:January 25, 2018 2:00 p.m.
00 11 16 – NOTICE INVITING BIDS
Third Street Improvements: Surface Improvements Package, CIP No. 8164 [Federal Project No. STPL 5238 (064), CFDA No. 14.218]
1. NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the City Council of the City of Davis (“City”) invites and will receive sealed Bids up to but not later than 2:00 PM on Thursday, January 25, 2018, at the City Clerk’s office of the City Manager, located at 23 Russell Boulevard, Davis, CA 95616, for the furnishing to City of all labor, equipment, materials, tools, services, transportation, permits, utilities, and all other items necessary for the Third Street Improvements: Surface Improvements Package [Federal Project No. STPL 5238 (064), CFDA No. 14.218] (the “Project”). At said time, Bids will be publicly opened and read aloud at the City Office. Bids received after said time shall be returned unopened. Bids shall be valid for a period of 90 calendar days after the Bid opening date.
2. Requesting Plans And Specifications And Requesting Plan Holders’ List:
Plans and specifications (not including State Specifications or other documents included by reference), and proposal forms, may be obtained by logging on to www.blueprintexpress.com/davis or by calling BPXpress Reprographics at (916) 760-7281. The cost is $75 per set (plus shipping and handling) and is non-refundable. Any bidder that fails to purchase a complete set of plans, specifications and proposal forms from BPXpress Reprographics prior to the bid opening date and time OR is not included on the BPXpress plan holder list shall have their bid deemed non-responsive. In other words, the bidder must purchase the plan set from BPXpress Reprographics AND be on the BPXpress plan holder list to be deemed responsive. The only exception shall be in the event a bidder’s name is not included on the plan holders list but the bidder can produce proof of purchase of the plans, specifications and proposal forms from BPXpress Reprographics with a purchase date that occurred prior to the close of bidding. Any bid produced from plans, specifications and proposal forms obtained from sources other than those purchased from BPXpress by bidder shall be deemed non-responsive. Only bidders on the plan holders list shall receive addenda notifications
It is the responsibility of each prospective bidder to pay the fee and download and print all Bid Documents for review and to verify the completeness of Bid Documents before submitting a bid. Any Addenda will be posted on www.blueprintexpress.com/davis. It is the responsibility of each prospective bidder to check the BPXpress Reprographics website listed above on a daily basis through the close of bids for any applicable addenda or updates. The City does not assume any liability or responsibility based on any defective or incomplete copying, excerpting, scanning, faxing, downloading or printing of the Bid Documents. Information on BPXpress Reprographics may change without notice to prospective bidders. The Contract Documents shall supersede any information posted or transmitted by BPXpress Reprographics.
Bids must be submitted on the City’s Bid Forms. To the extent required by section 20103.7 of the Public Contract Code, upon request from a contractor plan room service, the City shall provide an electronic copy of the Contract Documents at no charge to the contractor plan room.
Contract documents will not be available for inspection or purchase from the City by potential Bidders.
Potential Bidders, Subcontractors and other interested parties may request the Plan Holders’ List from BPXpress Reprographixs by browsing to their website (blueprintexpress.com/davis) or calling them at (916) 760-7281. There is no need to contact the City for this information as staff will still direct you to BPXpress Reprographixs.
3. Description Of The Work: The work consists of improvements along Third Street between A Street and B Street, including the intersections. The work includes demolition, grading, temporary walkways, tree removal and tree protection, concrete flatwork, truncated domes, geogrid, filter fabric, stone base, permeable and non-permeable pavers, storm drainage system, utility services and adjustments, signage, striping and pavement markers, posting kiosk, “Davis Needle obelisk, bike counter and dectector loops bike racks, bollards and other street furniture, landscaping and irrigation, street lighting and electrical, and signal modifications, including all labor, materials, equipment, and incidentals, to completely install an operating facility in accordance with the Project Plans and Specifications.
All work shall be performed in accordance with the City of Davis' Standard Specifications January 1996 Edition, Addenda through October 2009, the latest edition of California Department of Transportation Standard Specifications and Plans dated 2015, Davis-Bacon Wage Determinations, General Prevailing Wage Rates, Labor Surcharge and Equipment Rental Rates, and the Contract Documents.
4. Engineer's Estimate: $5,575,000.00 Project Engineer: Michael C. Mitchell, P.E.
5. Contractor's License Classification and Subcontractors: Unless otherwise provided in the Instructions for Bidders, each Bidder shall be a licensed contractor pursuant to sections 7000 et seq. of the Business and Professions Code in the following classification(s) throughout the time it submits its Bid and for the duration of the contract: Class [A] General Engineering Contractor's.
Subcontractor Substitution requests shall be made within 35 calendar days after the award of the contract. Pursuant to Public Contract Code Section 3400(b), the City may make findings designating that certain additional materials, methods or services by specific brand or trade name other than those listed in the Standard Specifications be used for the Project. Such findings, if any, as well as the materials, methods or services and their specific brand or trade names that must be used for the Project may be found in the Special Conditions.
6. Bid Bond: Each Bid shall be accompanied by cash, a certified or cashier’s check, or Bid Bond secured from a surety company satisfactory to the City Council, the amount of which shall not be less than ten percent (10%) of the submitted Total Bid Price, made payable to City of Davis as bid security. The bid security shall be provided as a guarantee that within five (5) working days after the City provides the successful bidder the Notice of Award, the successful Bidder will enter into a contract and provide the necessary bonds and certificates of insurance. The bid security will be declared forfeited if the successful Bidder fails to comply within said time. No interest will be paid on funds deposited with City. The Bid Bond submitted shall be provided by a surety duly authorized by the Insurance Commissioner to transact surety business in the State of California.
7. Performance Bond and Labor and Material Bond: The successful Bidder will be required to furnish a Faithful Performance Bond and a Labor and Material Payment Bond each in an amount equal to one hundred percent (100%) of the Contract Price. Each bond shall be in the forms set forth herein, shall be secured from a surety company that meets all State of California bonding requirements, as defined in California Code of Civil Procedure Section 995.120, and that is a California admitted surety insurer.
Pursuant to Section 22300 of the Public Contract Code of the State of California, the successful Bidder may substitute certain securities for funds withheld by City to ensure its performance under the contract.
8. Prevailing Wages: The Contractor shall pay hourly wages equal to or greater than the higher rate determined by the California Department of Industrial Relations or the Federal Wage Rates.
Pursuant to Section 1773 of the Labor Code, the general prevailing wage rates in the county, or counties, in which the work is to be done have been determined by the Director of the California Department of Industrial Relations. These wages are set forth in the General Prevailing Wage Rates, which is a part of the contract and available on the Internet at:
Additionally, this project is funded, in part, by the Department of Transportation. As such, it is subject to the Federal Davis-Bacon Act of 1931. The Federal minimum wage rates for this project, as predetermined by the United States Secretary of Labor, are available through the California Department of Transportation's Electronic Project Document Distribution Site on the Internet at:
Addenda to modify the Federal minimum wage rates, if necessary, will be issued to holders of the Contract Book. Future effective general prevailing wage rates which have been predetermined and are on file with the California Department of Industrial Relations are referenced but not printed in the general prevailing wage rates.
If there is a difference between the minimum wage rates predetermined by the Secretary of Labor and the general prevailing wage rates determined by the Director of the California Department of Industrial Relations for similar classifications of labor, the Contractor and subcontractors shall pay not less than the higher wage rate. The Department will not accept lower State wage rates not specifically included in the Federal minimum wage determinations. This includes "helper" (or other classifications based on hours of experience) or any other classification not appearing in the Federal wage determinations. Where Federal wage determinations do not contain the State wage rate determination otherwise available for use by the Contractor and subcontractors, the Contractor and subcontractors shall pay not less than the Federal minimum wage rate, which most closely approximates the duties of the employees in question.
For all Federally-funded projects , the Bidder is responsible for using the rates published by the Wage and Hour Division of the US Department of Labor under the Davis-Bacon and Related Acts. The wage decision applicable to this project is [Insert Decision Number Here: Sample Format - General Decision Number CA170009, Modification Number 22, released on 12/22/2017] and is incorporated as Exhibit “B”. Wage decisions may be accessed at http://www.wdol.gov or by contacting the Project Manager Michael Mitchell. Hard copies will be provided upon request.
In the event that the federal wage rates differ from the state prevailing wage, the higher of the two must be paid.
9. Department of Industrial Relations: Pursuant to Labor Code sections 1725.5 and 1771.1, all contractors and subcontractors that wish to bid on, be listed in a bid proposal, or enter into a contract to perform public work must be registered with the Department of Industrial Relations. No Bid will be accepted nor any contract entered into without proof of the contractor’s and subcontractors’ current registration with the Department of Industrial Relations to perform public work. If awarded a contract, the Bidder and its subcontractors, of any tier, shall maintain active registration with the Department of Industrial Relations for the duration of the Project.
This Project is subject to compliance monitoring and enforcement by the Department of Industrial Relations. In bidding on this Project, it shall be the Bidder’s sole responsibility to evaluate and include the cost of complying with all labor compliance requirements under this contract and applicable law in its Bid.
10. Retention: Pursuant to Public Contract Code section 7201, the City has made a determination that the project described herein is substantially complex, and therefore a retention of 5% will be withheld from payment until after the work is complete.
11. DBE Contract Goal: 7.69%
The Federal Requirements section of this Contract Book covers the DBE requirements.
12. Buy America: This project is subject to the "Buy America" provisions of the Surface Transportation Assistance Act of 1982 as amended by the Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991.
13. Award: City shall award the contract for the Project to the lowest responsive, responsible Bidder as determined by the City from the Base Bid plus any Add Alternatives. Refer to the Bid Schedule located herein. The City reserves the right to reject any or all bids or to waive any irregularities or informalities in any bids or in the bidding process.
14. Further Information: For further information, contact Michael Mitchell, Principal Civil Engineer, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions will only be considered and answered via email. Questions will not be considered or answered 48 working hours prior to the bid opening.
Deliver Bids To: CITY OFFICES - CITY CLERK'S OFFICE
23 Russell Boulevard, Davis, CA 95616-3896
(Building is located on the corner of Russell Boulevard & B Street)
*Note* If you choose to mail your Bid Proposal via any of the overnight/express services, the outside envelope MUST be clearly marked as [SEALED BID FOR:
Third Street Improvements: Surface Improvements Package, Project No. 8164 [Federal Project No. STPL 5238 (064), CFDA No. 14.218]
DELIVER IMMEDIATELY TO CITY CLERK'S OFFICE]
Date And Time: January 25, 2018 2:00 p.m.
Date: January 3, 2018
End of notice inviting bID