Calvin Arthur Covell Award
The C.A. Covell Award is presented to an individual who has demonstrated outstanding service to the community, over time, in a number of areas. Initiated by L.N. Irwin, it was first awarded in 1944 to C.A. Covell, longtime mayor of Davis, for whom the award is named. Criteria for selection, as suggested by Irwin, are the following:
- Leadership in civic activities
- Unselfish service to the community
- Reliability in following through on commitments
- Involvement in a variety of activities
How can I nominate someone?
Nomination letters should be no longer than two pages and should include the following:
- The name of the nominee and a brief explanation of why the nominee should receive the award for which he/she is being nominated (i.e., describing the nominee’s leadership ability and dedication to the community).
- A list of activities and services provided by the nominee, including dates and the name and email or phone number of an individual at the organization(s) served.
- A list of offices held, including dates as much as possible.
- The name, phone, and email address of the person making the nomination. The letter will not be accepted without this contact information.
After listing the activities, the nominator may include carefully selected quotes (not letters) from individuals who know the nominee in his/her various capacities — if space within the two pages permits.
Only one complete set of nomination papers will be used for each nominee in the selection process. If multiple letters are submitted for a candidate, the writers of extra letters will be referred to the person submitting the strongest letter, and that person can accommodate any new points and resubmit the application.
Nomination letters are typically due in October.
Nomination letters should be submitted to Janet Berry, the chair of the Davis Chambers of Commerce's Community Awards Steering Committee. Nominators should email their letters as attachments to email@example.com and they will receive a quick confirmation reply. Alternatively, nominations may be mailed to Berry at 5307 Tufts St., Davis, CA 95618.
If you are uncertain about any aspect of the process, contact former committee chair Judy Wydick at 530-747-6188 or firstname.lastname@example.org. She will be happy to send copies of well-written nomination letters as guides, or make suggestions about how to strengthen a nomination letter.
How are the nominees selected?
A committee of residents representing various activities in Davis — a different committee each year — will then select the recipients. The awards will be announced in late November, and they will be presented at the Davis Chamber of Commerce’s annual dinner in January.