The City of Davis is conducting a process to develop a new system of civilian oversight for the City of Davis Police Department.
The first review of the Police Oversight Recommendations Report will be made by the City Council at the meeting scheduled for April 10, 2018. The consultants will return to City Council on May 1 to respond to follow up questions.
In early 2017, the long-time police auditor informed the City that he would not seek a contract renewal for Fiscal Year 2017-2018. The police auditor position has been a part of police department oversight for more than a decade. With the auditor’s departure, various community members have stepped forward requesting a community dialogue regarding the future of police oversight in Davis. Some community members are also asking specific questions regarding policing in Davis and have raised concerns suggesting the need for stronger oversight in Davis in light of an event involving City of Davis police officers that occured during Picnic Day 2017.
On July 11, 2017, following a discussion on police oversight, the City Council directed staff to hire a short-term consultant to complete the following:
- Review current system, historical documents, and recommendations from the Human Relations Commission.
- Participate in up to five public or sponsored forums (sponsored forums could be for vulnerable groups who may not be willing to come to public forums) as content expert. Forums should be used to solicit community input on the goals of oversight, guiding principles, and key desired processes for oversight.
- Recommend 1-3 options that would seem to fit in Davis given size, history of policing and community needs.
- Include model contract and scope of work for ombudsman/auditor and details of the role of any other entities and how they might change from what is currently in place.
The City Council further requested that the consultant and staff present the results in a comprehensive report to the City Council for decision making on a preferred model upon completion of the work above.
On November 7, 2017, the City Council authorized the City Manager to execute a contract with Barbara Attard of Accountability Associates and Kathryn Olson of Change Integration Consulting, LLC to complete a police oversight process.
Their proposal is divided into three phases:
- Phase I - Information Gathering and Review (complete by mid-February, 2018)
Review historical information and gather information through community meetings, interviews with stakeholders, etc.
- Phase II - Report Preparation (complete by the end of March, 2018)
Analyze information and prepare report with recommendations and findings for Davis.
- Phase III - Present Findings (complete by the end of April, 2018)
Present findings to the City Council.
For more information about this process, please contact Carrie Dyer, City of Davis City Manager's Office, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 530-757-5602.