Inspections are required in order to complete the permit process. A city building inspector will make site inspections to verify that all work performed complies with the adopted building codes and approved plans. Please be sure all work is completed (and not covered, if applicable) for the portion of the job before requesting an inspection. Please note the following:
- Be sure your job site has an address posted and that a set of approved plans is on the job site.
- If the inspection items are all on the exterior and there are no dogs in the yard, no one needs to be present for the inspection. You only need to inform us of that and give us permission to enter the yard.
- If the property is vacant, the inspection can be arranged by bringing a key to the Building Department and requesting an inspection.
- An adult must be present for indoor inspections when the property is not vacant.
- A Cal OSHA approved extension ladder rated at a minimum of 250 pounds must be provided when necessary for access for inspections (i.e. roof, attic, etc.).
- Asphalt Roof Final inspections will not be done in the afternoon on hot days.
- Attics will not be inspected in the afternoon during the hottest part of the day (during the summer).
- The Resale Report must be on site for inspections related to a Resale Inspection.
Scheduling an Inspection
Inspections may be requested by calling our 24-hour automated inspection recording line at (530) 756-4907. Inspection requests called in before 3:30 p.m. will be scheduled for the next business day. Requests called in on a Friday before 3:30 p.m. will be scheduled for Monday. Inspection requests placed after 3:30 p.m. will take place in two business days (for example, if you call on Friday after 3:30 p.m., your inspection will be scheduled for Tuesday).
We accept inspection requests only one day in advance. Please do not leave any other messages on the recorder as it is not re-checked once the list is processed, and we are unable to respond to them. If you have questions or cancellations, call our main number at (530) 757-5610.
When you call in to request your inspection have the following information ready:
- Your Permit Number(s)
- Owner or Contractors name and Telephone Number
- The Job Address
- The Type of Inspection Requested
Please Note: Under the "special instructions" part of the automated inspection recording line, you can request an A.M. or P.M. but due to the volume of inspection requests, we cannot guarantee your preferences. Our inspections begin at 7:30 a.m. and continue until 12:00 p.m. and then from 1 p.m. until 3:30 p.m. If the Inspector is unable to complete your inspection on the day scheduled, it will automatically become a priority on the following workday. If you do not want the inspection done early on the next day, please let us know by calling (530) 757-5610.
If you wish to be notified up to 15 minutes prior to the inspector’s arrival on the site, please indicate this when scheduling your request on the recorded inspection line. Be sure to include your contact number (with area code).
Special Circumstance Inspections
In addition to the regular inspection process, the Building Department offers expanded service for special circumstances for a limited number of timed appointments. (Someone must be present for the inspection). These are available between the hours of 8:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m., and 1:00 - 2:00 p.m Monday through Friday. Please note that these appointments are often booked up in advance. Call as soon as possible in order to get the day that is most convenient for you. To schedule an appointment, please call (530) 757-5610 and department staff will assist you. Please have the following information ready:
- Your permit number(s)
- Your name and phone number
- Job address
- The type of inspection to be performed.
If you need to cancel your appointment, please call (530) 757-5610 with as much advance notice as possible.
Please Note: Due to the demand for scheduled appointments, a reinspection fee of $123.00 will be charged for a missed appointment.