City of Davis Public Works Department
Tim Spencer Alley Reconstruction
Tim Spencer Alley will receive a major upgrade to improve the City’s infrastructure by providing reliable water and sewer facilities and eliminate emergency repairs. This construction project will install a new water main. The sanitary sewer pipe will be rehabilitated by a combination of lining and replacement. The utility work includes trenching, shoring, pipe installation, testing, and backfilling. Sewer and water services will be replaced within the alley bounds. The existing asphalt pavement will be removed and replaced with new concrete surfacing.
Construction of the project will begin June 18 and continue to November 2018. The Contractor, McGuire & Hester, will be working 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday to complete the work. As a reminder, door hangers will be issued to all businesses on the alley at least 3 days prior to closure of the alley on June 18. Please make sure to move your vehicle out of the alley before June 18.
There will be temporary impacts of the construction that we want to make you aware of. Complete closure of the alley is necessary for safety and the construction will create noise, dust and some disruption of traffic patterns. The City and Contractor will make every effort to minimize these.
- The City will visit businesses and deliver parking permits to businesses affected by the alley closure.
- Delivery trucks will temporarily park on-street to make deliveries to businesses. Please remind your delivery service double parking in the downtown is not allowed Monday-Friday from 12-1:30 p.m.
- Disruptions to water service may last from 1 to 4 hours. You will be notified 48 hours prior to the water shut off. If you have critical times during the day that you need water service, please contact Terry Jue.
- Pedestrians will be able to use the sidewalks daily crossing the alley unless there is work across the sidewalk and into the street.
- Trash/recycling/compost receptacles will be relocated to three locations. For G Street businesses, there will be two locations on G Street: one towards the north end of G Street and one towards the south end. For F Street businesses, there will be one location in the Bistro 33 parking lot.
Who is Tim Spencer?
Tim Spencer, was the long-time UPS downtown Davis delivery person. When the Davis route started in 1973, he was the only package driver delivering in Davis. Stories abound about his dependability, high energy, positive outlook and his willingness to help those in need. After decades of service to the citizens of Davis and a valued member of the downtown Davis business family, the City honored his service by naming the alley after him.
The City is committed to minimizing impacts and keeping you informed about the project. We appreciate your patience and cooperation during the construction effort to improve the City’s infrastructure. If you would like to receive updates on the project, please send your email address to Terry Jue, firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have questions or concerns, please contact the following personnel:
City Project Manager, Terry Jue, 530-757-5686, email@example.com
City Engineer, Dianna Jensen, 530-757-5686, firstname.lastname@example.org
Project Construction Manager, Jason Brown, 562-908-6200, email@example.com
Project Construction Inspection, Daniel Anderson, 916-585-7327, firstname.lastname@example.org
MEETING NOTICE: TIM SPENCER COMMUNITY PROJECT MEETING
Please come hear about the project:
WHEN: MONDAY, MAY 21, 10:00 AM
WHERE: 3 MILE BREWERY, 231 G STREET
- Overview of the project including timing
- Water shut-off
- Trash/recycling/compost receptacles