- Dec 17
Thank you for reducing waste, composting and helping us conserve water and energy this year! It's a gift to have su… https://t.co/b7ZdnxAUCY
- Dec 17
DWR will not pick up on Dec 25 or Jan 1. All services regularly scheduled Mon-Fri will be one day later than the re… https://t.co/w5jlgjhk4s
- Dec 15
Going shopping? Remember to BYOB: Bring Your Own Bags! https://t.co/5y0whSj6MV
Reuse is the second best of the 5 R's—if you can reuse your waste, it is no longer considered waste! Giving away old clothes and other unwanted items to charities and thrift stores keeps good items out of the trash and can save you money. Why pay extra to dump good usable items when you can donate them for free? You can also save money by purchasing reused items. You can get a bookshelf at a thrift shop for $10 that you would pay $40 for at a retail store!
Looking for a way to reuse something? Check out our Recyclopedia
Reuse - it's better than recycling!
Do you have stuff you don’t want?
Instead of throwing your stuff away, donate it for reuse!
Local thrift stores usually accept a wide variety of reusable goods. Please call individual stores to verify drop-off times and locations as well as if they can currently accept your items.
R & R Thrift, 2801 Spafford Street (759-9648)
Yolo County SPCA Thrift Store, 920 3rd St. (758-0544)
Goodwill Donation Xpress, 2939 Spafford Dr., Suite 110 (753-2524)
Goodwill Donation Xpress, 417 Mace Boulevard, Suite E (759-1136)
Goodwill Donation Xpress, 1351 W. Covell Blvd. (757-4431)
Big Blue Recycling Barn Thrift Store, Yolo County Central Landfill, 4090 County Road 28H (666-8727)
Post items online that you would like to sell or give away.
Facebook: There are a number of local Facebook groups where you can post items to sell or give away (Davis Kids2Kids Resale, Davis Sale or Trade, Davis Yard Sales, etc).
The Davis Enterprise will list items in the “free” section for 3 days at no cost.
Check out our online Recyclopedia to see how to reuse or recycle hundreds of items locally!
Reusable Products at the Landfill
The Yolo County Central Landfill is now operating a reuse store! Looking to get rid of stuff? Visit the landfill donation station to unload your unwanted items. They may turn into someone’s usable treasures. Visit the landfill website to find the next thrift store event.
Many times residents turn in items at the household hazardous waste drop-off days that are still usable.
Come to the Yolo County Central Landfill during a household hazardous waste drop-off day to get free reusable household products like paints, cleaners, etc. Call the landfill (666-8729) or visit their website for more information.
Other Reuse Ideas
- When possible, mend clothes and repair worn shoes, boots, handbags.
- Buy reusable products and avoid single-use items.
- Reuse bags, containers, paper, boxes and other items.
- Reuse paper and plastic bags and twist ties. You might keep a supply of bags or boxes in your car to reuse on your next shopping trip.
- If you buy only one or two items and did not bring your own bag, carry your purchases without a bag.
- Take advantage of offers by grocery stores that provide a cash credit for reusing their grocery bags.
- Reuse scrap paper. Staple together sheets of scrap paper to make note pads and shopping lists.
- Use both sides of a piece of paper before recycling it.
- Save and reuse gift boxes, ribbons, tissue paper and larger pieces of wrapping paper.
- Reuse newspaper, polystyrene peanuts and "blister-wrap" to ship your next fragile package. Use brown paper bags to wrap parcels.
- Borrow, rent or share things you use infrequently.
- Share newspapers and magazines. Bring them to work or offer them to your doctor's office.
- Donate or resell items to thrift stores or organizations in need
California Materials Exchange (CALMAX): CALMAX is a free service sponsored by the California Integrated Waste Management Board to advertise materials that can be bought, sold or given away. It is designed to help businesses find markets for materials they have traditionally discarded. For a free catalog, call 1-877-520-9703 or visit the CALMAX website.
UC Davis Bargain Barn: The Bargain Barn sells excess and surplus equipment to campus departments and to the public. Call 752-2145 or visit the Bargain Barn website for details.
California Materials Exchange
Food Donation Best Practices
Garage Sale Tips
Holiday Waste Reduction Tips
Hosting a Zero Waste Event
Apartment Move-Out Waste Reduction Program