- Jun 22
Save the Date: July 12 Cool Davis Greywater Showcase from 5:30 to 7:30 pm at the City of Davis Senior Center! https://t.co/gjurv1OVHo
- Jun 21
Wednesday Water Tip: Install drip irrigation to save up to 15 gallons each time your water. Find more tips at… https://t.co/QEIzgjngP6
- Jun 20
AS OF JULY 2016, YARD MATERIAL PILE
COLLECTION SCHEDULES HAVE CHANGED
In July 2016, the previous system of collecting yard material loose in the street changed to a hybrid system of yard material piles and organics carts. More information about the organics collection program.
Most of the year, (from mid-December to mid-October), yard material piles will be collected once a month (during the first week starting with a Monday of every month). Piles may be set out no more than 5 days before a scheduled pick-up day.
Beginning the third Monday in October through mid-December, yard material piles will be collected every week. During this time, piles may be set out 7 days before a scheduled pick-up day.
Check the schedules below to find your pick-up days.
Monday (PDF) Tuesday (PDF) Wednesday (PDF) Thursday (PDF)
Yard Material Pile Collection MapDetailed Yard Material Collection Map
Quick Links:Yard Material Pile Rules
Bicycle Safety and Yard Material Piles
Dealing with Excess Yard trimmings
THESE ITEMS CAN GO IN YARD MATERIAL PILES
DO NOT PLACE IN YARD MATERIAL PILES
Streets are swept once per month, the week after yard material pick-up (during the fall, it occurs the second full week of the month). The downtown core area is swept once per week.
YARD MATERIAL PILES MAY NOT BE PLACED IN ANY PORTION OF A BIKE LANE. This may mean that your yard material pile cannot be 5 feet wide if it is placed the bike lane. Yard material piles can cause cyclists to crash by slipping or getting branches stuck in their wheel spokes. Due to their low profile and non-uniform size, cyclists may not see the piles until they come upon them, especially in the absence of street lighting.
Some streets are too narrow to accommodate vehicle traffic, bike lanes and yard material piles. On these streets, yard material piles may not be placed for pick-up because they will be in the bike lane. These streets include (but are not limited to) East 8th Street (from B Street to J Street), 5th Street (from A Street to L Street) and B Street (from 7th Street to E 14th Street). Yard material piles are also not allowed in the downtown core area (the area bounded by 5th Street, the south side of 1st Street, the west side of B Street and the Union Pacific railroad tracks).
In order to make yard material collection easy for you and safe for others, please give your yard materials a little T.L.C.
Timing—Please place yard material piles on the street the day before pickup. This reduces the number of days the piles pose a hazard to bicyclists and also limits the amount of debris movement across the street during windy weather conditions.
Limit The Size—Yard material piles can create serious hazards for cyclists and have caused cyclists to crash because they may not see piles in time to properly avoid them, especially at night. In addition, piles in the gutter may not only cause flooding, but also bring pollutants to nearby waterways. Place piles away from the curb or gutter to avoid making contact with storm water, while being careful not to place them in any portion of the bike lane. This may mean that your yard material pile cannot be 5 feet wide if any part of it is in the bike lane or protrudes into the gutter. Yard material piles cannot be larger than 5’x5’x5’ at any given time.
Composting—Composting returns nutrients back into the soil, cuts down on the need for pesticides and fertilizers and saves water. Visit DavisRecycling.org to learn more about composting. To receive a compost bin via the City’s compost correspondence class, contact Davis Public Works at 757-5686.
If you have excess yard trimmings that you can't fit in your organics cart and your next scheduled yard material pick-up day is too far off, you have options!
- Ask your neighbors if they have room in their organics carts for your excess yard trimmings.
- Contact Davis Waste Removal (756-4646) for a special pick-up quote. The quote will be based on the volume, size, and type of yard material. Yard materials may be placed on the street (no more than 5 days) or customer’s property for pick-up.
- Contact a landscaping company for a quote to haul away excess yard materials. The yard materials must be placed only on the customer’s property and not in the street.
- Contact a tree removal company to chip and/or haul away yard materials. The yard materials must be placed only on the customer’s property and not in the street.
- Donate your yard trimmings to the Sacramento Zoo to feed the animals. See details on the Sacramento zoo website: https://www.saczoo.org/support/other-ways-to-give/browse-donation/
- You can request additional organics cart. Fees apply.Residents can contact the City Finance Department to request additional carts (757-5651). Businesses can contact Davis Waste Removal for additional organics carts (756-4646).
- Consider leaving the leaves on your property as mulch. They will decompose onsite and create a natural mulch and fertilizer for your landscaping.
- Start a compost pile.