Much joy can be had watching these busy little guys romp around. However, like their rodent cousin the rat, squirrels can cause damage around the house and in the garden.
- Do not feed squirrels.
- Seal openings to the outside of a structure that are ≥ ½ inch wide with concrete mortar, steel or copper wool or metal flashing.
- Cover attic and foundation vents with ¼ inch wire mesh or heavy wire screen.
- To protect fruit and nut trees, use squirrel guards made from sheet metal 18-24 inches wide around the trunk to prevent them from climbing up trees.
- Deter squirrels by cutting back vegetation at least 8 feet from trees you wish to protect.
- Prevent ground squirrels from tunneling into your garden by installing wire mesh 1-2 feet below plant beds.
- Motion activated sprinklers (ex. Scarecrow®) have proven very effective at deterring squirrels and other unwanted animals.