Bike to School Day 2018 Contest
Biking Counts Award
Mayor Robb Davis presented the Biking Counts Golden Wheel award to Patwin Elementary School and joined the students in a breakfast celebration. Patwin has won this award every year except 2016 and this year they swamped the bike racks with a phenomenal 66% ridership! Mayor Robb Davis also presented the Junior High Biking Counts Golden Wheel award to Holmes Junior High Teacher Jennifer Sommer, Principal Kennedy and Vice Principal Dufresne. Holmes Junior High was the junior high school with the most bikes in the bike racks at 47%. Holmes students ride their bikes so often that they regularly do not enough bike racks!
Congratulations to 2017 Winners!
First Place Winners:
Marium (Grades K-3)
Shuxin (Grades 4-6)
Sydney (Grades 4-6)
Second Place Winners:
Gabriel (Grades K-3):
Ruby (Grades 4-6):
Third Place Winners:
Vivek (Grades K-3)
Sierra (Grades 4-6)
What to Do:
- Do fill out the entry form and include it with your submission
- Do write your name, grade, teacher and school on the back of your artwork
- Do use 11X17 or 8 ½X11 white paper. Medium- or heavy-weight paper is best, but regular paper is fine
- Do design a poster based on one of these safety themes:
1) Lights at night
2) Helmet use
3) Bicycle riding
4) Safe driving
5) Street crossing
- Do focus on only one topic
- Do hand-draw your artwork
- Do submit your poster and entry form to the City of Davis Street Smarts Program, 23 Russell Blvd, Davis CA 95616 by 5 p.m. on November 9, 2017 (EXTENDED DEADLINE).
What Not to Do:
- Don’t use a computer to create the artwork
- Don’t create 3-D effects, for example, using glitter or puffy paint
- Don’t use other people’s artwork to create your own (magazine, stickers, ads or any other
- copyrighted material)
- Don’t fold your artwork; roll it up or keep it flat
- Don’t forget to have fun!
Your artwork will be judged based on the following criteria:
- Clear communications of the traffic safety theme
- Visual design and composition
- Story-telling ability (does your artwork tell a story?)
- Must be enrolled in a Davis elementary school or a home-schooled student living in Davis.
THANK YOU SPONSERS!