Become a Green Business Partner
Becoming a Partner for a Greener Davis is easy. Fill out the application, check off (or write in) the measures your business is currently doing, sign the pledge, and return to the Public Works Department. Staff will review your application for appropriate minimum participation and send your certification packet.
To make filling out the application a little easier, you can look through this list of Additional Measures to meet your certification requirements.
More Information:What are the benefits of being a Green Business Partner?
- In-store certificate and window placard to help inform your patrons about the great things your business is doing.
- Free advertising for your business in local media such as newspaper mention, Partners for a Greener Davis website listing, a spot on the Davis Government Channel and other media as available.
- Support from program staff.
- Cost savings associated with the use of less water and energy.
- Being part of a growing effort to reduce our community’s footprint on the environment.
- Developing a positive, proactive relationship with local compliance inspectors can help to ensure that you have the information you need to comply with regulations.
- Your company’s community image is enhanced through Partners for a Greener Davis certification.
- Your employees will enjoy a safer workplace and will have one more reason to take pride in working for you.
Do I get credit for the good things I’m already doing?
Yes! In fact, your business may already qualify. These standards are designed to fit most businesses, but if certain measures are not applicable or feasible for your facility and operations, you may request an exemption or demonstrate alternative measures.
Can I get an energy, water or solid waste audit to help me get started?
Yes, the City of Davis Public Works Department offers free audits for waste/recycling and storm water pollution prevention. Please note that an energy audit is required for certification (see the General Standards section of the checklists for more details).
Is there a fee to be certified as a Partner for a Greener Davis?
No, Partners for a Greener Davis certification is free!
What does a business have to do to become certified?
In order to become certified, a business must submit a completed application to the Public Works Department. In addition, a business must:
- Comply with all environmental regulations applicable to your business. Please ask staff about this.
- Implement a variety of measures to save energy, water, and other materials, and reduce waste. The program application walks you through this step! You may find you are already doing many of the things listed.
- Pledge to continue these terrific efforts to prevent pollution and conserve resources.
Certification as a Green Business Partner is good for one year. Re-certification each year is encouraged. When the time comes for re-certification, go to the Partners For a Greener Davis website, download the latest application, fill it out and submit it to the Public Works Department. We strongly encourage continuous improvement…so go for the gold!
Program Related Links
- Integrated Pest Management
- Water Conservation
- City Volunteer Positions
- State Regional Water Resources Control Board
- State Air Resources Board
- Green Purchasing